Saturday, August 30, 2014

Lake Montebello and Us


I love lake Montebello. I love the people that are there, the regulars and the unregulars that come and go the small and big and young and old and every kind of person and family on feet and on wheels, I love them. The trio of ladies with babies gossiping and waddling, the supercool woman with retro rollerskates and clothes and disco moves circling around and around and around, the ever-present and changing group of racing bikers zooming in their formation like geese. I love the geese too, and the turtle we saw that one time. My kids on their little bikes trucking around trying not to trip up the racers and all the friendly smiles that fall on them and us. Lake Montebello looks like Baltimore and it feels how I wish all Baltimore felt. I am most hopeful about Baltimore, about Ferguson, about the United States of America, about humanity, when at the Lake circling the water and the humanity that sustains us.  

No comments: