Friday, January 8, 2010

Simple Soup with Quinoa

Today is the definition of exasperation. Well, a nearly two year old is actually the definition of exasperation, but today she is a little bit sick and my patience is a little extra thin and so, augh. As she "naps" and goodness bars are in the oven for a post-nap treat, I wanted to write about the soup I have been making lately, and my quinoa realization.

Simple Soup, with quinoa
Cook chopped onion, carrots and celery in bit of olive oil on large soup pot.
Add frozen peas, corn, and can worth of rinsed garbanzo beans.
Stir over heat a moment then fill the pot up with stock - veggie or chicken, boxed or homemade, whatever you have.
Add about 1/4 cup of well-rinsed Quinoa.
Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.
About 10 minutes before serving time add some wide egg noodles. Or, if using homemade fresh noodles, a real treat, add only minutes before serving.

Quinoa: apparently all sorts of healthy. Not a grain but related to beets? Though I have had this in my cupboard and used it in some recipes before, I have just realized how great it is in pretty much any soup. Particularly the brothy variety. Just a little something special. So, quinoa is now on my "toss into stuff" list along with flax and wheat germ for baking.

No comments: